Sunday, May 3, 2009

Natalia Gutman



Last week I played a BPO concert with Natalia Gutman. Natalia Gutman is one of the best cellists I have ever heard (at least, in my opinion).  She played Prokofiev's Symphonia Concertante..and it was amazing.  Natalia was chosen to play this piece at Richter's Funeral...and with her personal connections to Rostropovich (and his personal connections with the creation of the piece with Prokofiev) she had a lot of information to give in regards to what Prokofiev wanted.  It was amazing and an experience I wish all of the cellists out there could have.  To have her ability to bring moods/emotions and colors so easily (along with Kick butt cello technique, both with articulation and left hand) was astounding. She gives a killer lesson just by being able to watch her. I was able to get  a picture with her and practice my pigeon German by speaking with her. Unfortunately I used the informal 'You" with her...SO embarassing.  We had 4 rehearsals, and 3 concerts last week, and then at 8pm (after the 3pm concert on Sunday) I jumped on a plane and went to Kansas City.  I was supposed to land at 11:30 KC time, but instead landed at 2:45..and felt lucky to be on the ground safe...due to the tornados in the area. The weather definately made me less than excited at the prospect of living there....

Ok, more about the trip and the audition tomorrow...I have to sleep now!

No comments:

Post a Comment